Wednesday, June 16, 2004

You Know You are In Mississippi When...

We often joke about things that remind us of home. We associate certain things or certain songs or certain people with certain places or times. Well, since I moved to Mississsippi in 1996 there is one thing that I always associate with home...and today I was reminded of them once again.

In Ohio we have bugs. There are bugs everywhere. But Ohio bugs are nothing compared to Mississippi bugs. MS has three bugs that you don't find in the North including the red wasp (ouch), the red ant (double ouch), and finally--the one I saw today-- the GIGANTIC Flying Roach. I'm not kidding. They fly and they are huge.

So here is the story of how I was reminded during this visit home of the roach...
The day started off normal. Got up, went for a walk with my mom and our dog. Came in, had some water, decided to take a shower. So, I'm washing my hair wondering what I will do today and I look over. Sitting in the corner of the shower is none other than a 2 1/2 inch roach. I screamed--not because I was scared--but because they are so disgusting. Uck. Gross. So, of course I got out of there as soon as possible and then killed the roach and sent him to his (or her) grave down the toilet. If you have never experienced a giant roach, especially one who flies, you are truly missing out. If you ever visit MS beware, because they always turn up in the strangest places.

So now that I have had my official Mississippi welcome, I feel right at home. And definately encouraged to return to Kentucky soon--the roach-free land of the North.

0 comments: