Sunday, August 14, 2005

Late Night Dating Philosophy Part 2

In a previous post I compared the world of dating to dying your hair. Well, I have been inspired to continue my metaphor. You may think it is going too far, but I hope you enjoy. And if I have missed something…be sure to add it!!

The box that stays on the shelf:
This is the color that looks so good on the shelf. You think, wow I would love to try that but for whatever reason you don’t. You’re scared because it’s too bold; or maybe you just know it isn’t the color for you even if you wish it was. For whatever reason, the box stays on the shelf although you might regularly visit it on your trips to Wal-Mart. :)

The box that you take off the shelf and carry around Wal-Mart:
This is the color that looks good. You pick it up, you hang out it with awhile cause you really like it. But before you even leave the store you realize that it’s not the one for you. You just don’t feel the chemistry. And it doesn’t mean that someday you won’t come back and get that color. But for the time being you know that it’s just not you.

The box that you buy, take home, love it, and then hate it:
This is the color that you fall instantly in love with as soon as you see it. You grab it off the shelf and smile the rest of your time at Wal-Mart and all the way home. You put it on as soon as you walk in the door and it’s wonderful. You keep checking yourself in the mirror, smiling each time. And then the color fades. It doesn’t look so good anymore and you really just don’t like it. You may even regret buying it or wonder how you ever thought it looked so good. It’s not long before you find yourself back at Wal-Mart.

The box you buy, love, and then they stop making it:
This is the one that hurts the most. You finally find that perfect color. You love it. It is exactly what you wanted. It fades into a beautiful color that keeps you smiling. But then one day when it’s time to refresh your color, you go to Wal-Mart and it’s gone. It’s been discontinued or something, you don’t know. You find yourself wondering if you will ever be able to replace it and days and months later you still look back remembering. It takes a long time for you to stop looking for it on the shelves at Wal-Mart.

The box you buy, love, and keep buying: This is it. This is the one that fits. It looks great on you and you love it. Now, it’s still hair dye, so it does have to be refreshed. You may even highlight it every now and then just for a change but it’s there. It’s true to you and you are true to it. Because it makes you happy and beautiful. It’s the color we’re all looking for. And someday we all hope to find it….

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have found from past hair dye purchases that even though the color looks fabulous on the box, sometimes it's just NOT for you! From a mistake I made several years ago, I learned that the only way for me is to go natural. By going natural I find less worry when dealing with my hair and wondering if he... i mean it is going to be washed away the next time I shampoo. Does that make sense... I'm tired, so sorry if it didn't make sense in anyone elses head. I loved the post rachel... made me laugh!

Jules said...

Yes, but you have a lovely hair color, Speck. Some of us were not born as fortunate. So thank God for the pretty natural color that you have. Wait, are we still talking about hair?

;-)

Kris said...

Man, I think I've just been haning around Wal-Mart too long. What about that color that looks great, fades, and still looks great, you go back, get the same color, and it's not so great! I've done that a few times, and it's that mistake that made me go natural to natural/highlight, and has me still going back to Wal-Mart!

Anonymous said...

GO bold..live your life. -Jonathan

Stephanie said...

I've never dyed my hair. Maybe that explains my singleness! :-P

Anonymous said...

so...you really need to post something new...we need an up date