Monday, May 03, 2004

Harry Potter

So, I couldn't think of anything to blog...but wanted a May posting. So I decided to share one of my favorite topics. Harry Potter.

See, in one month from tomorrow Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban will be out in theaters. I am counting the days. So far one and two have lived up to all expectations and I am anticipating a great third movie. (You know Peter, you should see one and two so that you can come and see three with me!)

I guess you could say that I am a little into Harry Potter. Okay, really into it. I've read all the books...mulitiple times; I enjoy scholarly discussions on the books (yes, those are possible); I have read two whole books on commentary about Harry Potter (one pro and one con); and I own both movies which I watch on a regular basis. The real question is though, Why? What is it about these books that make them so...addictive?
Well, first of all, it's about the characters. Throughout each book you get to know Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They are real because Rowling created characters that everyone can relate to. So they might be in battles of good and evil that none of us will ever face, but they face all the other problems of our world including family, bullies, friendship, relationships, and other conflicts such as jealousy, misunderstandings, and confusion.

Why else do we read the books? Because within these books is a constant battle of good against evil and our inner nature desires to know that good is going to overcome. Rowling writes her books in such a way that you never know if just maybe she is going to surprise you and stray from the "normal" fairy tale ending. So far, good overcomes; but the battle is still on just as it is still on in our world today.

Finally, we read the books because they are interesting and well-written. Rowling has talent. Her books are filled with imagination and suspense. Throughout five books she has kept her readers interested and surprised. No matter anyone's opinion of Harry Potter, I hope that they will at least recognize the talent that she displays in her books.

And in closing, Harry Potter books and movies are a great form of entertainment. One where the battle between good and evil rages, and good always wins.

0 comments: